The property upon which Thee Hubbell House Estate is located was once part of a land grant of five thousand acres which was made in 1835 by General Sam Houston, commander in Chief of the Territory of Texas. By 1871, General Robert E. Lees cousin, B.W. Lee, bought fifty acres of this land for $500 in gold. From the era of 1875, there presently exists a historical hay barn that was later turned into The Carriage House for servants quarters and for horses and carriages.
In 1888, J.M. Lankford, an early Winnsboro merchant, built a story and a half mansion on a two acre plot. In 1906, Colonel J.A. Stinson purchased the estate and reconstructed the home using a Georgian Colonial style. He came to Texas from the State of Georgia during the latter part of the civil war after he had lost his Georgian plantation by fire. He bought a 3,000-acre working plantation that had a sawmill and gristmill. This acreage is located just South of Winnsboro where he built a Prairie Plantation home. That home has been preserved and is now on the grounds of the Hogg State Shrine near Winnsboro.
Colonel Stinsons oldest daughter, Sally, married Governor James Hogg, who was Texas first native-born Governor. They gave birth to three sons and a daughter who went on to become the famous philanthropist Ima Hogg. She never married and lived to be 92 years before she died on a vacation in England while attending the opera. Ms Ima Hogg was a frequent visitor to her grandfathers Winnsboro estate and what is now The Little Hogg House, on the property, was initially built by Colonel Stinson as a playroom for his children and was later also used by his grandchildren.
In 1987, Dan and Sue Hubbell bought the Stinson Estate and restored all four houses to their original state. It was soon after this that it secured a Texas Historical Marker. In May of 1999, Tim Carmichael purchased the property and also adjoining property which had been part of the original estate. He continued the restoration while also adding his own distinct ambiance, reflecting the historical essence of this site.
More recent developments occurred in February of 2000, when the front parlor of the mansion, become Rebekahs Restaurant. With a menu that caters to discerning tastes, it also has the ability to cater for larger functions such as group gatherings and weddings.
Attempting to meet additional needs, an inground swimming pool with a total privacy fence was added in 2006, and in 2007, high-speed, wireless internet availabilty, to the entire property, insured 21st century convenience in a 19th century setting.
home | the mansion | the carriage house | the grounds | rebekah's restaurant | rates | history | location | weddings | email us |
Upcoming Events | What's to do in WINNSBORO?